Travelogue

Sunrise @ Borobudur

It was easier to walk up to Borobudur than Panorama Hill to watch the magical sunrise.

Borobudur Sunrise (7)

It took us 4 hours to drive from Kuala Lumpur to Sungai Lembing (Paranoma Hill) last Sunday, but only 2.5 hours flight to Yogyakarta (Borobudur is 40KM from Jogja).

Borobudur Sunrise (4)

Besides being one of the seven wonders in the world, Borobudur is also easily accessible from Kuala Lumpur (with cheap air fare via direct flight via AirAsia).

Borobudur Sunrise (1)

There could be more Malaysians visiting Angkor Wat than Borobudur.

Borobudur Sunrise (6)

After visiting Angkor 6 months ago, I could appreciate a bit more about the importance of Borobudur.

Borobudur Sunrise (3)

Borobudur is the largest ancient Buddhist temple.

Borobudur Sunrise (5)

It was built 300 years earlier than the more popular Angkor Wat.

Borobudur Sunrise (2)

It is interesting that the largest Buddhist temple is situated in a country with less than 1% Buddhists population.

Before Mount Merapi erupts again or another earthquake destroying the temple, no wonder Borobudur was listed #1 ranking on the “27 places to see before you die” published by CNN on July 2012.

Advertisements

6 responses

1. I visited Angkor Wat some years ago. Just posted part I and II of my Cambodia trip. Borobudur is on my wish list. Indeed it is very interesting. Malaysia has the least % of Buddhists but has the largest Buddhust structure in the world. Cambodia is a Buddhist country, but the most popular Angkor Wat is influenced by Hinduism!

August 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm

• Hi Denise (friendlytm),
      Thank you for visiting this blog. Adding on to your comment, Bali is part of Indonesia (Muslim country) but yet 90% of the population on the island are Hindus. You can find interesting demography like these in Asia. Wish you have a nice visit to Borobudur soon. Cheers.

August 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

• I know. Bali is the only Hindu island in Indonesia which is primarily a Muslim country ( sorry…just want to simplify the language…). I am also interested in visiting Bali, to see some of the cultural stuff, besides the beautiful nature. Thanks for pointing this out. I nearly forgot about this.

August 8, 2012 at 4:39 pm

2. Nia

Yeah Borobudur is the most famous ancient structure of Indonesia’s. I live in semarang, about 3hours from Yogyakarta. Semarang also has some popular destination like Sham Poo Kong castelle, and Bandungan hills with Gedong Songo Temple on it. But yes, Yogyakarta is still more attractive than Semarang. Soo many awesome destinations there.
    Salam kenal dari Semarang…;)

April 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm

• Hi Nia,
      Thank you for sharing. I do agree that if visitors have more time, there are few nearby cities and sites worth visiting. My next target will be Kawah Ijen.

April 7, 2014 at 12:56 pm

3. Trinita

Awesome pictures.

I’m so interested, especially with pic no.1,2,4 and 6.

Would you like to allow me to repaint those photos on canvas, so that I can display in my office?

If you do, please contact me by email trinitatheresia@gmail.com or via mobile +62 838 72752115.

Thank you so much and looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Warm Regards,