Experimental Flash Macro
After hiking at Gasing Hill, we headed to the Butterfly Park in Kuala Lumpur. The objective was to test out an experimental DIY flash that I made last night.
All pictures were taken with JPEG. The image above was original without any cropping or adjustment. It was taken with Olympus E-M5 and 50mm 4/3 lens.
The colour came out alright. No colour adjustment on any of the photos.
I am still new to flash photography, so I am experimenting with different strength of the flash power. For this spider, I tried to illuminate its translucent body by blasting extra strong light onto the tiny spider.
The spider and the baby mantis were about the size of my finger nail. They love to hide in between the leaves.
I think the flash diffuser need more improvement. It was hard to manoeuvre underneath the branches and leaves. I am taken the shoot from bottom up to illuminate the butterfly underneath its wing, but then the leave was washed out.
Another failure was trying to get surrounding light for the caterpillar.
All the shots were taken with aperture between F8-F13, the depth of field still not sufficient when I am getting too close to the subject.
Anyway, I have a fun-filled hour failing. More practices and experiments to get the right technique.